Visit the CGOA Now Blog
and catch up on the
- Continuing Education
|Design Competition (Member Only)|
CGOA 2019 Design Competition Official Information
The competition is open to all current CGOA members, at all membership levels, excluding judges. Entries must be primarily crocheted. Other fiber, needle and crafting arts may be incorporated in your design, but the overall impression must be crochet. Any materials may be used.
Entries must be original designs that have not been previously entered in this competition, previously published in any print or electronic media, or otherwise publicly available before the date of competition (our judges need to have never seen this work before). Entries do not have to be new or recently crocheted, as long as they are your own designs. Please keep entries smoke and perfume free in case of judge allergies.
There will be 6 judging categories this year:
1. Fashion: garments (not accessories), including sweaters, tops, jackets, vests, skirts and dresses.
2. Accessories: including wraps, scarves, cowls, socks, mittens, hats, bags, belts and jewelry.
3. Home Décor & Afghans: items primarily for the home, including afghans and throws, baby blankets.
4. Tunisian: 80% of design needs to be Tunisian crochet. - sponsored by Clover Needlecraft Inc.
5. Artistic Expression: items more artistic in nature, including free-form or mixed media pieces, wall hangings and wearable art. - sponsored by M2H Designs
6. Thread Crochet: anything made in crochet thread or fine/lace weight yarn (CYC category #0/Lace); this category may overlap other categories and includes doilies, garments, baby clothes, or accessories. - sponsored by The DMC Corporation
Decide which category best describes your entry.
If your design is an ensemble or a grouping, please limit the number of separate pieces to no more than three per single entry. You may submit as many entries in any category or categories as you wish, but each entry will require a separate entry form and the full entry fee.
The entry fee is $20 (Twenty US dollars) for each and every separate design. Payment of fees will be part of the official entry process through the CGOA website and NOT a check mailed in the same package as your crocheted entry.
Your design will be return shipped to you free of charge, but you are responsible for the cost of shipping your design to the receiving location to arrive by the June 14, 2019 deadline.
Entries will be evaluated by a panel of three impartial judges across a range of qualities including: design appeal, use of stitches, color, selection of materials, workmanship, finishing and functionality as indicated. Judges will not know the names of designers until after the judging is over.
Judging will take place on site at the CGOA Conference in Manchester, NH July 12.
Winners will be announced during the Excellence in Crochet Event, on the evening of July 12th. You do not have to be present to enter or to win.
Cash prizes will be awarded: one $1,000 Grand Prize, and for each of the 6 judging categories one $300 First Prize, one $200 Second Prize and one $100 Third Prize. There will also be special awards including, but not limited to: $100 People's Choice (to be chosen by attendees voting on site), $200 Technical Merit and $100 Founder’s Silver Award.
Do not complete and submit the form until your crocheted design is finished and ready to send, in case you incorporate last-minute changes; your design must exactly match the description given in your entry form. Please print out a copy of your entry form and include it with your shipped design. Entries will not be accepted on site.
If you are entering more than one design, you will need to submit a separate entry form for each design and pay for each entry.
Preparing Your Design
Please make sure your entry is clean, fragrance/odor-free and presented to the best of your ability. We strongly suggest proper blocking and finishing. Appearances matter. Each entrant will be required to submit a high-resolution photos of their entry. This photos will be used for reference on styling and display during judging and at the Design Competition booth. They will also be the images used in the awards ceremony slide show and winner announcements.
Written patterns are not required. However, if you want to include information about your inspiration, techniques and materials (anything you’d like the judges to know), there will be a place for comments in the electronic entry form.
Do not sew or otherwise permanently attach any kind of identification to your entry. Instead, please use a removable hang-tag or other small form of ID, securely tied or pinned to the back side/inside of each piece, with your name and the title of your design clearly printed on each tag.
Sending Your Design
You may ship multiple entries in the same package. Package size is limited by the dimensions allowed by USPS (Girth + Length less than 108 inches), but please do not send entries weighing more than 20 pounds!
You are responsible for shipping your package to the receiving location to arrive no sooner than June 3, 2019 and no later than the deadline June 14, 2019, so plan accordingly. You will be notified by email that your entry has been received.Be assured that your entry will be treated with the utmost care and respect.
There will be a section to please leave a little information about yourself; when you started designing, who taught you, as well as a little information about your design; what was your inspiration, any funny stories that go along with it, etc. Feel free to include any information you would like to share.
Getting Your Entries Back
All entries will be on display for the duration of the conference, July 11-13, 2019. If you plan to attend the conference and wish to take your entry home, there will be a sign-out procedure on-site. Otherwise, entries will be return shipped to the address you list on your entry form, as soon after the conference as feasible. Shipping will be via USPS Priority Mail wherever possible; tracking information will be provided if you include an e-mail address in your entry form.
By entering this competition you agree:
● You are a current member of CGOA in good standing, current on your dues.
● Your entry is your own original work, not previously entered in this competition, not previously published in any print or electronic media and not otherwise publicly available before the judging date.
● Your name and likeness and images of your entry may be used during and following the competition for purposes of information and promotion.
● You do not hold this committee, CGOA, Celtic management, our sponsors or the event venue responsible for any incidental or accidental wear or damage or loss to your entry.
Questions or Problems?
email@example.com or 847.647.8919
Thank you to our generous sponsors for 2019