Visit the CGOA Now Blog
and catch up on the
- Continuing Education
|CGOA Chapter Program Ideas|
2. Start a chapter scrapbook with pictures of your events.
3. Work together to compile a list of local yarn and book sources; include personal comments from members who have visited these stores. Provide this list to members only as an incentive to join.
4. Compile a list of mail order sources for yarn and books.
5. Compile a calendar of events of interest to crocheters.
6. Organize field trips to yarn shops, yarn manufacturers' exhibits, festivals or other points of interest in your area.
7. Put together a crochet exhibit for a library showcase. Members pool their crocheted articles. Possible themes: hearts for February, March is National Craft Month, kids' items for September, etc. Plan ahead as these library cases are very much in demand. At the same time, provide a wish list of crochet books and magazines to the library for purchase.
8. Find locations to hold crochet demonstrations: State and County fairs, folk art festivals, large retail book stores such as Barnes and Noble or Borders.
9. Find a yarn store that is affiliated with Warm Up America or Caps for Kids. Encourage chapter members to crochet for these worthwhile organizations.
10. Organize an all-day or weekend workshop using a national or regional teacher (teachers interested in doing chapter workshops are listed in the Members Only area of this site, under the Member Benefits button). Promote this through the media to attract non-members. Charge a little more for non-members; if enough people come to the workshop, there will be enough to cover costs and have some leftover for the Chapter treasury.
11. Organize a Certified Crochet Instructor Course through the Craft Yarn Council of America.
12. Offer to teach crochet classes for free to a group of school children, at a library, nursing home, club, or at your own chapter meeting and advertise the meeting to the public.
13. Good Luck and keep those hooks flying!
For more information about starting your own chapter today or other questions about CGOA Chapters email CGOA@crochet.org. Make sure to include your city and state, and your chapter name, if you belong to a local chapter along with your inquiry.